Everyone will have to pay for healthcare, but the public option will be expanded so that everyone will have it. CNN has a live blog updating the tweets from both parties, denouncements from the Republicans, and the media strategy to blast local media markets to repeal the law. What does this mean to you?
Beginning in 2014:
- Everyone needs health insurance; this is the mandate everyone was screaming about. If you don’t get it, the penalty will be $285 per family or 1% of income, whichever is greater.
- If you are unemployed or your employer does not provide insurance, all Americans are eligible for Medicare.
- If you’re under 26, you can still be covered on your parents plan. Previously, dependants over the age of 21 or 24 (depending on the plan) were dropped.
- Pre-existing conditions are a thing of the past, regardless if you are a child or an adult.
- Small businesses with 50+ full time employees need to provide health insurance for their staff.
Go on, head out tonight (or on your lunch break) for some high STI risk casual action to celebrate.