Get to know gay author, blogger, NYC party promoter, and graphic T-shirt fanatic Justin Luke, whose latest book, Gulliver Takes Five, is out next month.
1. What turns you on, creatively or otherwise? Justin Luke: Butts, bitchy guys, and big brains filled with information I don’t know yet.
2. What’s a good tip for someone who wants to be you for Halloween? JL: My trademark pink fake eyeglasses are only $9 and found online when you Google “fake pink aviators.”
3. Which celebrity’s hair do you covet most? JL: I don’t pay much attention to celebrities — or their hair!
4. What would your death-row last meal be? JL: A magical piece of meat that would release a genie when I cut into it, allowing me to wish myself out of jail. Just kidding. I’d wish for more wishes then wish myself out of jail.
5. What’s your juiciest vice or guiltiest pleasure? JL: Professional wrestling. I can watch WWE programming for hours, simply to savor the lifelike violence and drama.
6. What extravagant purchase should probably make you feel guiltier? JL: I invest about $100 a week in T-shirts from threadless.com. I’m starting to feel guilty, but not terribly so, since they reached out to me the other day after getting wind of all the free promo I’ve been giving them.
7. When’s the last time you wanted to slap someone? JL: I don’t think there’s a time I don’t feel like slapping someone. Out of love, of course! It’s just fun — and the sound is pretty great.
8. What most likely made that stain on your outfit? JL: A spilled drink from one of my parties. I tried to wring it out directly into my mouth, but that hardly ever works.
9. Describe your favorite undergarment. JL: I have a pair of Gap boxer briefs with a wiener dog on it. It’s both adorable and obscene at the same time… just like me.
10. What’s a lie you’ve told more than once? JL: “Sorry, babe, I really can’t get you to the front of the line at the club!”
BONUS: Where do you see yourself in five minutes? JL: Going to grab lunch at the local bodega… fingers crossed I end up with genie meat.
Co-director and head promoter of gay NYC promotional company BoiParty.com, Justin Luke Zirilli throws 20Something Thursdays and works with John Blair Saturdays at XL Nightclub. He’s the author of Gulliver Takes Manhattan and its upcoming sequel Gulliver Takes Five. Find Justin on Facebook, Twitter, his blog, and his website.