The top 10 things we’re living for this week. Get into it.
10. MUSIC: Former Lives, Benjamin Gibbard. The Death Cab for Cutie and Postal Service frontman, returns — post-Zooey Deschanel — with a solo record, Former Lives, including new single “Teardrop Windows.”
9. THEATRE: 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche. A FringeNYC comedy fave, 5 Lesbians Eating a Quiche — which is pretty much exactly what it sounds like — opens Oct. 16 at NYC’s Soho Playhouse. Possibly the best off-Broadway title ever?
8. MUSIC: The Origin of Love, Mika. Well, Mika’s officially gay now, and the Brit still sounds like the sassy little sister of Freddie Mercury on The Origin of Love, which drops Oct. 16. Check out new tracks “Celebrate” and “Make You Happy.”
7. MOVIE: Paranormal Activity 4. Just like the first three low-budget spook flicks, Paranormal Activity 4 is going to be a hit when it opens Oct. 16. See it drunk.
6. MUSIC: Two Eleven, Brandy. The sixth studio album from the R&B princess, Two Eleven — a reference to Brandy’s birthday and the day her idol Whitney Houston died — is out Oct. 16 with catchy, club-ready lead single “Put It Down.”
5. TV: The Girl. Alfred Hitchcock was possessive and crazy — just like your ex-boyfriend. The Girl, a new HBO original movie premiering Oct. 20, tells the story of his unhealthy relationship with leading lady Tippi Hedren.
4. MUSIC: Bring It On: The Musical - Original Broadway Cast Recording. You don’t need to make it to Broadway to enjoy the awesome musical set in the world of competitive cheerleading and loosely based on those teen flicks of the same name. Download the cast recording now.
3. TV: My Life Is a Lifetime Movie. Genius! Lifetime embraces their crazy woman-in-peril reputation with My Life Is a Lifetime Movie, a mashup of first-person interviews and cinematic recreations about unbeweavable real-life situations. Check out the premiere Oct. 17.
2. MOVIE: Gayby. Little gay indies are usually crap, but Gayby, about a straight girl having a baby with her hot gay bestie, is totes hilarious. See it now in limited release.
1. TV: American Horror Story: Asylum. We’re literally dying for the Oct 17 return of Ryan Murphy’s greatest achievement, American Horror Story. Yeah, suck it, Glee. This time the scares have relocated to a mental institution, but the otherworldly Jessica Lange is among the returning actors. Reset those DVRs now!